Sunday, September 11, 2011

2 weeks of NFL games....ah, football is here

Hey there sports fans, well I got behind in my blog but have a good excuse. We've been busy the past 2 weekends building the kids' swing set (it's huge, but anyone who knows my husband should not be surprised.....Drew would never build anything small...you always go BIG) and then we came down with a stomach bug in the house, knocking Drew & I out for a few days. But looking to get back on track, so here goes!!

NFL ~ Opening weekend
Most surprising score, Ravens 35/Steelers 7 - 7 TO's, what do you expect, but still!!

Green Bay had good win against New Orleans, but both defenses gave up a lot of points....still think Green Bay looked good & will be a top contender this season. And I just like Aaron Rodgers' work ethic!! Man that kid works hard and does not give up.

Dallas/NY Jets ~ Pretty good game....for NY especially. Looked like Dallas would run away w/it but then in typical form of past few seasons, turnovers late cost them the game. Dallas looked pretty good until the fumble by Romo down on the 1. Ironically, just a few minutes before, the announcers complimented him on not having any big mistakes. They were saying what a clean game he's had.....come on, it's a full 4 quarters guys, let's hold the praise until it's over. And then he fumbled...fortunately Dallas' D came up big & forced NY to turnover the ball. But then Dallas has 2 penalties on 3rd down to put them at 3rd & 22....ugh. And then it got real ugly, a blocked punt resulting in TD for NY. NY's D held Dallas and NY got the ball back 2 minutes left and score tied at 24-24. I wondered could Sanchez come up big or would he crack under the pressure? It's hard to say, not sure at times which Sanchez will show up....the talented kid who can make some incredible passes or the kid that still at times looks like a rookie, that deer in the headlights look, and makes mistakes or high passes. Would Rob Ryan's D hold NY & get Dallas the ball back? They did......but then Romo threw an INT. My "Romolio" flared up pretty good, which is a little too early in the season, but then I think it's become a chronic condition. (Hmm, maybe it wasn't just a stomach bug we had this last week......) To be honest though, I was ok w/NY winning....on the anniversary of 9/11, it just seemed fitting.


NFL ~ Week 2 The Dallas/49ers game was really pretty good, almost like the days of the 80's & 90's. I think Harbaugh will be a good fit at SF and maybe we'll see if Alex Smith can really be a good QB or not. Poor guy has had like 4-5 (maybe more??) offensive coordinators in his career, so maybe now if he has some stability he can settle in. I will give Romo credit for coming back in the game to play and he must've been hurting pretty bad....he was so pale, I kept expecting him to throw up in the huddle. But kudos to him for playing through it & getting the win. However, there is still something I see in Kitna that I don't see in Romo.....it is a leadership quality, you can see it in his eyes. Romo, well I just don't see it.....all I see in his eyes is "Geez, I hope I don't screw up." We'll see how they can handle the Redskins this Mon.


The only other game I really saw was the Rams/Giants on MNF. Wow that was painful....I was so excited to watch Bradford (Boomer Sooner!) but all those penalties, it was just awful! They would get a first down only to have it called back, then another penalty and be looking at 3rd & 22 or 3rd & 28. And the rookie WR that dropped two huge passes, passes that would've been first downs. You just have to do better than that kid.....I hope they can improve, but they've got to clean up the penalties first.


Game score that caught my eye was the Lions beating the KC Chiefs, 48-3. What is UP w/the Chiefs?? Could not believe they only scored 3 points....didn't see the game, so not sure if it was turnovers or did the Lions just dominate (Stafford had 4 TD passes, so thinking it's the latter). Could it be that Matthew Stafford is going to lead the Lions to a winning season??


Looking forward to this weekend & MNF, we'll see if my Romolio flares up.



Now on to college ball....


OU was off two weeks ago and we were building the kids' new swingset, so I didn't catch a lot of games. But saw some highlights and caught some great moments in good games. South Carolina/Georgia was a wild game, it's always fun to see close games. I think Mark Richt is on the hot seat this year though, which I hate to say because I kinda like the guy. But if Georgia doesn't have a good season, I wonder if that will be it for him. Notre Dame/Michigan was wild......I saw the 4th quarter, which apparently was the best part!! Back and forth and then Michigan holds out and gets the win. And wow, was that crowd loud.


Really enjoyed this last weekend and the OU/FSU game. It was a huge test for OU and honestly, they need to do a few things better, especially playing on the road. I do not know WHY we can never stop running quarterbacks....I mean really. If you know that's pretty much all he can do, then stack the line, blitz him, force him to throw the dang ball. Brad Smith @ Missouri used to cause us trouble and the kid at A&M has too. It drives me crazy!! But in the end, they did pull it together and got the win. Would just like to see some better coverage by secondary, especially when you have them at 3rd & 22, don't give up the pass!! And hoepfully the offense will get going.....Landry looked a bit timid, the crowd was loud for sure and hostile. Hopefully he got the jitters out and will settle in.

How about Clemson beating Auburn?? Fantastic, loved that. I don't care for Chizik & the Tigers, not a big SEC fan. And boy was that Clemson coach excited?!?! That was great, just what college football is all about. Was very disappointed in Mississippi St., really thought they might get LSU. But in the end, Les Miles gets another win. (Yea, don't like that guy either....used to coach at Oklahoma St. and he's SEC....two marks against him.)

That's really all I caught on the college games.....most teams are still playing non-conference nobody's. October is when the great games really start. I am looking forward to these matchups this weekend.....OSU vs. TX A&M, Florida St. vs. Clemson, and OU vs. Mizzou. We lost to Missouri last year on the road, so I expect OU to be a bit fired up to play them at home. They always play us tough, so should be a good game. Now we just need the cool, fall weather to hit so it really feels like football season.

No comments:

Post a Comment